The Prince Edward Island Pottery, 1880-1898

D. B. Webster

Abstract


The Prince Edward Island Pottery was established by Oswald Hornsby on the outskirts of Charlottetown in early 1880 and, following its closing in 1898, all structures and buildings were demolished in 1903 ■ During its 18 year operation the pottery produced the greatest range of earthenware forms yet established to any Maritime's pottery, and the only known marked wares. The site of the Prince Edward Island Pottery was excavated by Donald Webster of the Royal Ontario Museum in 1970, ion conjunction with historical research and a survey of its surviving products.

Résumé

La Prince Edward island Pottery fut fondée au début de 1880 par Oswald Hornsby et poursuivit ses opérations jusqu'en 1898. La manufacture et toutes ses installations situées en banlieue de Charlottetown furent démolies en 1903 ■ Pendant sa période d'activité la compagnie produisit le plus grand nombre de modèles différents de poteries de toutes les Maritimes et les seules pièces à porter l'estampille du fabricant. Cet article veut rendre compte des fouilles archéologiques, menées par Donald Webster du Royal Ontario Museum, qui eurent lieu en 1970 sur le site de l'ancienne manufacture. Parallèlement à ces fouilles, l'auteur a effectué des recherches historiques et dressé un inventaire des produits toujours existants de cette compagnie.

Full Text:

HTML PDF