Volume 26, Number 1 (1999)
Articles

A Century of Service: A Brief History of British Columbia's Geological Surveys

Published March 3, 1999
How to Cite
Brown, A. S. (1999). A Century of Service: A Brief History of British Columbia’s Geological Surveys. Geoscience Canada, 26(1). Retrieved from https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/GC/article/view/3997

Abstract

The British Columbia Geological Survey Branch reached a centenary of continuous service in 1995 following fitful earlier ventures reaching back to colonial days. As mineral resources were a principal spur to the political developments from colony to province, perhaps it is surprising that a geological survey was not started sooner. Beginning in 1895 the Survey developed in five stages from a Provincial Mineralogist and his staff of five, forming the Bureau of Mines, to the significant organization of the 1990s. In 1917 six resident engineers and geologists based in various localities throughout the province were grouped to form the semi-independent Mineral Survey. In the mid-1930s the Bureau of Mines and the Mineral Survey were combined to form the Mineralogical Branch, a resource-oriented geological survey centralized in Victoria. This in turn, in the mid-1960s, added a resource appraisal function and became known as the Geological Division. Finally it became the Geological Survey Branch of today with a broad mandate in 1:50,000-scale mapping as well as many non-mineral functions. Résumé Après des débuts incertains au temps des colonies, le Geological Survey Branch (Secteur des levés géologiques) de Colombie-Britannique a fêté ses cent ans d'existence en 1995. Les ressources minérales ayant été l'un des facteurs déterminant de l'évolution politique depuis les colonies jusqu'au statut de province, il est un peu étonnant que des services géologiques n'aient pas été créés plus tôt. Depuis 1895, les services géologiques se sont développes en cinq étapes, d'un Bureau of mines (Bureau des mines) composé d'un minéralogiste et de cinq employés pour, éventuellement, devenir l'important organisme des années 1990. En 1917, ingénieurs et géologues résidents de différentes localités à travers la province ont été regroupés pour former un organisme de services géologiques semi-autonome, le Mineral Survey (Service d'exploration minérale). Au milieu des années 30, le Bureau of mines (Bureau des mines) et le Mineral Survey (Service d'exploration minérale) ont été fondus pour former le Mineralogical Branch (Secteur des ressources minérales), un service de levés géologiques axé sur les ressources et centralisé à Victoria. Au milieu des années 60, une fonction d'évaluation des ressources s'y est ajoutée et l'ensemble est devenu la Geological Division (Division géologique). Finalement, cette dernière est devenu le Geological Survey Branch (Secteur des levés géologiques), lequel assume le mandat d'une cartographie générale à l'échelle 1 : 50 000 en plus de nombreuses autres fonctions à caractère non-minéral.