Looking Back to Move Forward: Why Scientific Societies Should Contribute to Making our Science an Equitable, Safe, and Inclusive Space
- 2022 GAC Presidential Address,
- GAC Vice-President (Past)
How to Cite
van Rooyen, D. (2022). Looking Back to Move Forward: Why Scientific Societies Should Contribute to Making our Science an Equitable, Safe, and Inclusive Space. Geoscience Canada, 49(2), 53–57. https://doi.org/10.12789/geocanj.2022.49.187
- Bernard, R.E., and Cooperdock, E.H.G., 2018, No progress on diversity in 40 years: Nature Geoscience, v. 11, p. 292–295, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-018-0116-6.
- Cheney, I., and Shattuck, S., 2020, Picture a Scientist (Film): An Uprising Production.
- Clancy, K.B., Nelson, R.G., Rutherford, J.N., and Hinde, K., 2014, Survey of academic field experiences (SAFE): Trainees report harassment and assault: PloS ONE, v. 9, p.e102172, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0102172.
- Dowey, N., Barclay, J., Fernando, B., Giles, S., Houghton, J., Jackson, C., Khatwa, A., Lawrence, A., Mills, K., Newton, A., Rogers, S., and Williams, R., 2021, A UK perspective on tackling the geoscience racial diversity crisis in the Global North: Nature Geoscience, v. 14, p. 256–259, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-021-00737-w.
- Goldin, C., and Rouse, C., 2000, Orchestrating impartiality: The impact of “blind” auditions on female musicians: American economic review, v. 90, p. 715–741, https://www.jstor.org/stable/117305.
- Mattheis, A., Marín-Spiotta, E., Nandihalli S., Schneider, B., and Barnes, R.T., 2022, “Maybe this is just not the place for me:” Gender harassment and discrimination in the geosciences: PLoS ONE, v. 17, e0268562, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0268562.
- Morris, V.R., 2021, Combating racism in the geosciences: Reflections from a black professor: AGU Advances, v. 2, p.e2020AV000358, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020AV000358.
- Nayeri, F., 2019, When an orchestra was no place for a woman: New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/arts/music/women-vienna-philharmonic.html.
- Osborne, W., and Conant, A., 2003, The Vienna Philharmonic hires its first Asian musician (Website): http://www.osborne-conant.org/vpo-change.htm.