Volume 31, Number 1 (2004)
Articles

Geology of the Roman Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland

Jeff Pollock
Department of Earth Sciences, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 3X5; Current Address: Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 27695
Published March 1, 2004
How to Cite
Pollock, J. (2004). Geology of the Roman Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, St. John’s, Newfoundland. Geoscience Canada, 31(1). Retrieved from https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/GC/article/view/2739

Abstract

The Basilica of St. John the Baptist was constructed in the form of a Latin cross and in the Lombard Romanesque style of a Roman Basilica. The cornerstone was laid in 1841 and construction continued for the next 14 years until the church was consecrated in 1855. The foundations were built using local sandstone from Signal Hill; Galway limestone and Leinster granite from Ireland were used for the exterior walls and towers. Small amounts of sandstone from the Kellys Island and Mistaken Point formations were quarried and used in the ambulatory walls. Signal Hill Group sandstone was used in the restoration of the exterior walls. The impressive statuary throughout the Basilica were carved in Carrara Marble, quarried in Italy. Verona limestone, also from Italy, was used to construct parts of the high altar, while the side altars were adorned with Egyptian travertine. RÉSUMÉ La basilique Saint-Jean-Baptiste a été construite selon un plan de croix latine et dans le style romanesque lombard d'une basilique romaine. La première pierre a été posée en 1841, sa construction a duré 14 ans, et sa consécration a eu lieu en 1855. Un grès de la région de Signal Hill a été utilisé pour les fondations, et des pierres du calcaire de Galway et du granite de Leinster d'Irlande ont été utilisés pour l'édification des murs extérieurs et des tours. De petites quantités de grès extraites de carrières des formations de Kellys Island et de Mistaken Point ont été utilisées dans les murs des déambulatoires. Le grès du Groupe de Signal Hill a été utilisé comme matériau de restauration des murs extérieurs. L'impressionnante statuaire de la basilique a été sculptée dans du marbre de Carrara en Italie. Du calcaire de Verona en Italie a été utilisé pour certaines parties du maître autel, alors que les autels latéraux ont été décorés avec du travertin égyptien.